Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Travel + Family: Boise

Last weekend I returned to my
roots for a quick holiday in Boise.
It's always refreshing to escape California's craziness and visit a friendly place with a significantly lower population. I find lots of people in Idaho really know how to slow down and appreciate the little things. Ah, smaller cities.

The trip occasion? My 21-year-old cheerful brother
Sam has graduated from high school.
It's an especially significant milestone because Sam, who has severe autism, received an official diploma from Timberline High School. The family came together for the occasion. And my dad organized a killer party complete with a live band and light show.


Here we all are holding portraits Sam drew of us.


Below are a few clips from Sam's sweet graduation party, where a good amount of friends and community members stopped by to congratulate Sam. He sure is popular.


Here is Sam right when the party started:




Sam couldn't get enough of the lights and live music:



And since Boise is on the mind...

And a trip "home" to Boise always includes time spent with longtime friends in the surprisingly hipster-filled downtown Boise. Below, we had drinks on the Red Feather Lounge, which I highly recommend for beverages (below) and food at prices that might be high for an Idahoan but are pretty darn good for a San Franciscan.




My family lives in the historic north end of Boise, a liberal enclave with lofty trees and cute bungalows. And how I love Hyde Park, which embodies that local charm (Marin County would approve).
I took the below photo while we were walking to Hyde Park.




1 comment:

Riki Schumacher said...

HI Jess, what a great looking blog! I love it. So great to see the family pictures and video. Thanks so much for posting. Looks like Sam had a wonderful time, I'm so glad. Love to all, Riki

Post a Comment