Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Travel + Photos: Switzerland fog


Mark Twain said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." I've heard this countless times since I moved to the Bay Area. I'm tired of it, but aside from the quote's drama, I can relate a bit.

I've spent the last week and a half showing relatives from Mexico around the Bay Area and explaining the region's microclimate phenomenon (yes, I think it's a phenomenon). Too often we left warm and sunny San Rafael, drove less than 15 minutes, and ventured into foggy and cool Sausalito or San Francisco. The fog is pretty, I just wish it wasn't so chilly.

Wikipedia (I know, it's Wikipedia) says Point Reyes is one of the foggiest places in the word with more than 200 days of fog a year. I've been trying to think of other foggy places and remembered my 2007 visit to tiny Gimmelwald in the Swiss Alps. It was one of my stops on my five-week whirlwind Europe backpacking adventure. It was so foggy up at Gimmelwald I never got a solid glimpse of the Alps.
C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment